Saturday, January 14, 2012

Am I 'addicted' to running...?

I often joke about my "running addiction", and others all too often will accuse me of it.

Who knows, perhaps they are right.

I try to engage in a fair bit of other forms of exercise, and I found over the summer that I really liked riding my bicycle. But there is just something about running that calls out to me.

It is certainly the most stressful thing I put my body through, and often times seems to require the most physical exertion. But I really enjoy my times out on the run (at least most of the time). Running through pain is no fun, but it is often the choice that I make over doing nothing (or even sometimes over doing something else). Ahhh, but the good runs are truly special.

As much as I like cycling, I'm apparently a fair-weather cyclist and anything below about 60 degrees means I'm not going to be saddling up. Which leaves mostly indoor activities (since there isn't a lot of cross-country skiing in North Texas)...and I really prefer to be outdoors when possible unless it is absolutely miserable outside.

It's bad enough that I am willing to admit a mild addiction (it is mild...right?), but when organizations I'm not even familiar with recognize it, it is a bit "odd". Case in point: I got this notification in my email the other day.

Apparently Kairos Healthcare is now stalking following me. They are just here to "...lend support for those who are in need of addiction treatment....". Hmm, I knew I was bad off, but I didn't think it was quite that bad. Maybe I am though.

Almost no matter how much running I get to do, it always just seems to inflame my addiction and not really "satisfy" it. A great 5 mile run, makes me want a repeat, or maybe even an 8 or 10 miler tomorrow.

 I used ta do a little but a little wouldn't do
So the little got more and more
I just keep tryin' ta get a little better
Said a little better than before

I do tend to hear these words rattling around in my head a lot. Maybe I should just reach out for some help.

No, I can quit whenever I want to...really.

And if my body really needs to rest, I can take a day (or two or three or four) off with no problem...



Running "easy" is really 'active rest', which is the same thing as rest...right?

OK, well maybe I'm a "bit" addicted.

That's enough banter for today though...I hear my running shoes calling me......

Happy Running Everyone !

2 comments:

  1. It's alright if you are a little bit addicted to running, I think we all are in some way!

    I enjoy my rest days, but I still love to get out there and run more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely addicted! The days I run are my best days. I don't like rest days.

    ReplyDelete